Hunger in Our Community*
• 10.3% of DuPage County residents (nearly 100,000 people) are food insecure (meaning they are not assured of three daily meals).
• 19.6% of children in DuPage County are food insecure.
• The annual income needed by a one-parent family with a preschooler and school-age child to maintain self-sufficiency in 2011 was $65,321.
• The 2011 fair market rent for a 2-bedroom apartment in DuPage County was $1,016.
• A minimum wage earner would need to work 95 hours per week to afford a 2-bedroom apartment in DuPage County.
*2011 Report on Illinois Poverty, Social Impact Research Center at Heartland Alliance