Loaves & Fishes distributes over 60,000 lbs of food every week to our families in need, and we couldn’t do it without the support of the entire community. No matter if you have hundreds of pounds of groceries to donate or just a few bags or boxes, you can help feed our neighbors in need by holding a food drive in your neighborhood, office or school!
Here are some tips to ensure that your food drive will be a huge success:
- Talk to members of your community or co-workers about organizing a food drive. Find a few friends that can help with planning, encouragement and the work responsibilities, and make sure to include Loaves & Fishes in your planning process by registering your food drive here.
- Plan the details of your drive. Choose the dates (we suggest that you hold your food drive for 2 weeks or longer), and pick a time that will allow ample opportunities to promote and publicize your efforts. Choose a food item you would like to target from our Most Needed Items list, and pick an easily accessible drop-off point.
- Build awareness and enthusiasm. Utilize social media, posters and flyers to announce your food drive. Use hunger facts to motivate activity, and most importantly, have fun! You can pick a theme, have a contest, offer incentives..use your imagination and watch the food appear! For more tips, check out this checklist.
Drop Off Hours and Map
Food donations are accepted at the Loaves & Fishes location (1871 High Grove Lane, Naperville, IL 60540) during all regular business hours. Volunteers will be available to help unload your vehicle. Please make an appointment if you plan to drop off food outside of open hours.
Monday – 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Tuesday – 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Wednesday – 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Thursday – 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Friday – 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Saturday – 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Sunday – closed
View our Updated Parking Map to see donation drop-off location.
What to Bring
When contributing foods to Loaves & Fishes, please select commercially packaged food items in cans or unbreakable containers. Consider donating healthy, low-fat and low-sugar products that our families are sure to appreciate and enjoy. Favorites include:
• canned meats (tuna, chicken, salmon)
• canned and boxed meals (soup, chili, stew, macaroni and cheese)
• peanut butter and other nut butters
• condiments (i.e., ketchup, mustard, ranch dressing)
• canned or dried beans and peas (i.e., black, pinto, lentils)
• pasta, rice, cereal
• canned fruits and vegetables
• personal care items (toothpaste, shampoo, toilet paper)
• household cleaners (laundry detergent)
• diapers and wipes
• pet foods and supplies
• baby foods (cereals, Stage 1 fruits and vegetables)
Loaves & Fishes is also seeking donated supplies for our warehouse. We are in need of:
• paper towels
• disposable plastic aprons
• one (1) gallon zip lock bags
• nitrile powder-free, latex-free gloves (large or extra-large)
• The bags and items inside can be generic or oriented towards a boy or girl
• Each bag should include plates, napkins, cups, candles, a cake mix, and frosting
• Optional items can include cupcake liners, party favors, balloons, etc.
Loaves & Fishes cannot distribute
• open or used items
• foods in rusty, severely damaged or unlabeled containers
• outdated or expired food items
• homemade canned goods or re-packaged goods
• prepared foods that are unpackaged
• alcoholic beverages
• prescriptive medical supplements
PLEASE do not leave perishable food items in food collection bins without notifying an attendant.