- Must be 21 years old (exceptions may be made for certain agencies)
- Clients must be referred by a DuPage County social service agency or other designated CARES partner agency (including congregations, employers or school social workers).
- Referral should include: professional’s name and title, client’s name and contact information, relationship to client and for how long, and why he/she believes client is a good candidate for a car donation. Referrals should be sent directly to email@example.com. Agencies referring a client to the Car Program, should first notify the Loaves and Fishes CARES Associate Director, Maria McTarnaghan of the referral before the client calls Loaves & Fishes CARES to complete the application.
- Clients must be working or actively seeking employment. If the client is unemployed, he/she must have completed or be actively participating in a job search program. Proof of participation/completion is required.
- Clients need to have a valid Illinois driver’s license with current address. Clients can easily change their address on-line through the Secretary of State website. Out of state licenses are not accepted.
- There can be no another car in the household and the client cannot have received a car from Loaves and Fishes CARES in the past. If a client has a car but it is very unreliable, then the client can donate their car to Loaves & Fishes CARES to be sold or show proof that they no longer own the car when a Loaves & Fishes CARES car becomes available.
- Clients must have the ability to pay for a) transfer of the title, b) taxes and c) six months of car insurance in advance (payment receipt is required). Total cost estimated at $600.
- Client’s budget must be able to support the cost of owning a car (car insurance, gas, oil changes are critical). Past car ownership is certainly a plus. Clients will receive a voucher for two free oil changes when they receive a car.
- Clients will be required to complete five budgeting classes offered through H.O.M.E. DuPage before receiving the car.
Each client who participates in the Loaves & Fishes Cares Car Program agrees to participate in the Financial Fitness program offered through H.O.M.E. DuPage, this specifically includes:
Attend the “Budget” Workshop—offered the first and third Wednesday’s from 4:00pm-5:30pm on-site at Loaves & Fishes and at area agencies in DuPage County. Client will learn how to develop a spending plan, track income and expenses and begin the practice of saving.
Attend the “Credit” workshop – offered every second and fourth Wednesday at 4:00-5:30 on site at Loaves and Fishes. Client will learn how to read a credit report, learn the significance of good credit and how a poor credit score can impact their life.
Client will then attend three one-on-one financial counseling sessions. This take place over a 90-day period where the client can address issues related to budgeting, financial planning and credit issues.