September is Hunger Action Month!
We are grateful to ABC7’s Judy Hsu for highlighting hunger awareness in our area! Read more….
Together we have the Power to End Hunger! To get involved, take our Hunger Action Month Pledge.
Britt’s No Waste Tips
- Don’t Over-Serve – Use small plates when serving food to prevent overeating and throwing food away. What you don’t eat can be eaten for leftovers later.
- Remember FIFO – “First in, first out”. Make sure to move older groceries to the front of the fridge and new items towards the back. This way, you’ll consume the older products before they go bad.
- Re-use Food Scraps– Save your old fruit scraps to make jams and jellies or your vegetable scraps to make a no-sodium broth.
- Freeze your leftovers – Search for recipes that provide more than you’ll eat, and that are freezable. Some recipes can last for up to 3 weeks!
- Go Bananas! – You can rub the soft side of banana peels on house plants to shine the leaves, and remove dust. Afterwards, you can add the bananas to a compost pile.
- Snack-o-Lantern – Fall is here, which means pumpkin everything! Reuse your pumpkin insides to make a puree for cookies, pies and fillings.
- Tomato, Tom-ah-to – Use the tomato peel, core and juice to make sauce! Just blend them up and put them on the stove to simmer with the spices of your choice.
- Tea-rific Tea– With the weather getting colder, this calls for hot drinks. Reuse your tea bags twice, and put multiple used ones together for a strong flavor.
- Use those potatoes! – Don’t know what to do with leftover potato peels? Make chips with the scraps. They are crunchy, and satisfying!
Britt’s Videos & Recipes