Community

Naperville Jaycees Help to End Child Hunger

Post by Loaves & Fishes Community Services.

Celebrating with District 203

Post by Loaves & Fishes Community Services.

Finding the True Meaning of Volunteering

Everybody wants to feel valued. When I speak, I want my remarks to be noticed. If I participate, I want my efforts to matter. But present day conveniences allow for inertia to leave me feeling fully engaged. Checking Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, emails, texts, Instagram and auto reminders from several meet up groups…I am blitzed with… Read more »

The New Poverty

If we go by the usual stereotypes, we think poverty exist only in certain major cities such as Chicago south and west side, South Central Los Angeles, the 5th Ward in Houston, Texas, Bronx, New York, etc. Yes there is a population that truly lives in poverty in these cities. For some, it’s even been… Read more »

Leadership Change in Motion

On Monday, December 8th, we announced a transition of leadership put into motion by the resignation of President and CEO Charles McLimans. Charles, who has led Loaves & Fishes since 2008, has accepted the CEO position at Feeding America Eastern Wisconsin, part of a nationwide network of food banks with which we are closely affiliated…. Read more »

Thank you for Seven Great Years

Dear Friends, “We leave something of ourselves behind when we leave a place, we stay there, even though we go away. And there are things in us that we can find again only by going back there.” ~Pascal Mercier, Night Train to Lisbon And so it is that I share with you, with bittersweet emotions,… Read more »

My Motivation by Mike McCarthy

Several years ago, while searching for a job, I applied for a fundraising position at L&F. After the initial interview with Charles, I realized my skills weren’t directly in line with the need. What was interesting, as I now know, is the depth in which Loaves & Fishes helps people here in our very own… Read more »

Celebration of Compassion 2014

On November 7th, Loaves & Fishes held the Celebration of Compassion at the Celebration Community Life Center in Naperville to announce this year’s honorees. Guests included major supporters as well as volunteers who donated more than 100 hours of time during the year ended June 30th. Charles McLimans presented the awards, donated by John Robbins… Read more »

National Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week on Fox 32 Chicago

Charles McLimans, Loaves & Fishes President & CEO, was invited to speak to Corey McPherrin and Darlene Hill on Fox 32 Chicago about suburban poverty and how Loaves & Fishes is reducing it thanks to our incredible supporters. FOX 32 News Chicago

The Battle for Employment

What is the true unemployment rate in Illinois? Are you accounted for in the true unemployment number? According to recent reports, the Illinois working-age population has grown by nearly 300,000 since the recession; however the Illinois workforce has shrunk 226,000 over the same period. This indicates there’s a gap of more than 500,000 working-age Illinoisans… Read more »